Caring for people with life threatening illnesses in the Sid Valley
Our aim is to provide a fully inclusive service to help patients and their carers cope. We hope to improve their quality of life by making this time less stressful and provide physical and emotional support.
Although most people are suffering with cancer some have other life threatening diseases. We hope to make life more comfortable and less frightening whilst they come to terms with their diagnosis and prognosis.
Our Other Service Provisions
Volunteer support for transport, sitting, shopping and befriending:
- Drivers who will take patients to hospital appointments if they are unable to drive themselves
- Volunteers who will sit with either the patients or their loved ones at times of difficulty
- Bereavement volunteers who will talk and listen to those who have recently lost someone
- Monthly meetings for the those who are recently bereaved
- Monthly bereavement support group meetings, so that people can support each other
Our Nursing Service Provision
Advice on difficult symptoms
Opportunity to discuss treatment options
Liaison with primary care team & others
Around 100 people a year are referred to us. Each month our nurses may have a caseload of about 60 or 70 patients.
Sidmouth Hospiscare Registered Charity Number 1153338
Picture Below: Nurses meeting in the lounge at May Terrace
This Website is currently under development.